Just a couple of hours after it was reported that Google will release a stand-alone mapping service for iOS, the search engine giant rolled out the Google Maps in the App Store. Now available for download in iTunes, the free app was released late Friday night, complete with turn-by-turn navigation, Street View, and transit information.
A lot of users have been waiting for Google Maps for iOS after the same service found on previous mobile operating system iteration was removed in iOS 6. Apple’s latest mobile OS replaced the erstwhile Google Maps with a proprietary solution, which leverages location data from TomTom together with other navigation companies.
Google Maps for iOS Features
Google’s new mapping app has an overall look that is much similar from the legacy app and Google Maps web client. Thus, longtime users will feel at home in using the service.
However, its users interface was completely redesigned, taking on cues from other Google iOS apps such as YouTube and Gmail. It also support multi-touch gestures, with all of its features available with the swipe of a thumb.
Also returning to Google Maps for iOS is the Street View. It should be recalled that the lack of which was the source of complaints from a number of iPhone and iPad users. In lieu of this, the Cupertino-based company implemented a 3D tool called Flyover. Although not as comprehensive as Street View, Flyover still offers a unique and detailed look at the supported city.
Google Maps SDK for iOS
Aside from the application itself, Google also released the app’s SDK for iOS. This is designed to help developers integrate the mapping service to third-party applications. Moreover, the SDK will enable them to bypass Apple’s own iOS Maps.
Weighing 6.7 MB, Google Maps for iOS can now be downloaded through the App Store. Listed below is the app’s description, as posted on the online store.
- Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
- Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
- Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
- Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
- Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
- Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
- View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
- See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
- View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
- An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
- Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
- Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.