Although it is not yet confirmed, it appears that the New York Times best-selling novel Divergent may be turned into a video game. Summit Entertainment, the company that will produce a film based on the novel, reportedly filed a trademark to create games based on the series.
Filed last January 1, the trademark applies to computer games such as game cartridges, cassettes, tapes, discs, programs and software. It also includes “electronic games downloadable via the Internet and mobile devices.” A wide array of other merchandise was also mentioned, including backpack, sunglasses, and mobile phone skins.
No Game is in Development Yet
Summit Entertainment may have filed a trademark with regards to Divergent becoming a video game, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that a relevant product is in the works. The company might be preventing other firms from doing the same. Still, there is a possibility that it will land on consoles in the future.
In relation to this, Summit has filed a trademark for creating merchandise and video games for Insurgent, the novel’s sequel. Because of this, they company is more likely to file another trademark for the third novel once it is announced.
More About Divergent
Written by Veronica Roth, Divergent is set in a post-apocalyptic Chicago, wherein the society is now organized into five factions of varying values.
- Abnegation: It is a nation of people who believe that the world failed because of malicious and selfish greed. They sworn to remain selfless and serve the needs of others.
- Erudite: Created by the people who believe that the collapse was due to ignorance. Because of that, they always thirst for knowledge.
- Candor: Formed by the people who believe that the world failed because of human duplicity and lies, members of the Candor faction pledge to always speak their mind and the truth.
- Amity: It is formed by the people who believe that aggression and power-hunger were the root of the society’s collapse. The people of Amity have sworn to take the mantle of peace at all cost.
- Dauntless: The faction of the courageous and the strong, people of Dauntless believe that the root of all problems stemmed from plain cowardice.
It is the American author’s debut novel and is the first installment in a trilogy. The book stars Beatrice “Tris” Prior, a teenage who finds that she doesn’t quite belong to any of the factions.
Divergent’s film adaptation is said to enter pre-production within the next few months. Any games inspired by the novel would be released in close proximity in order to maximize cross promotion.